fibrid Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) Procedure is a minimally-invasive treatment that has been proven to effectively relieve the symptoms of uterine fibroids. fibrid UFE is a quick procedure with a fast recovery, and has been found to be a safe solution without undergoing surgery.
Why Does The fibrid UFE Relieve Symptoms?
Fibroids can be bulky and can cause problems by getting in the way of the body’s natural functioning. For instance, a large fibroid pushing on the colon can cause constipation, or a fibroid pressing on the spinal column can cause leg or back pain. The simplest way to relieve the symptoms is to reduce the size of the fibroid or fibroids. Once the fibroids are smaller, they no longer interfere with the body’s natural function. Uterine fibroids are nourished with blood from the uterine arteries. fibrid UFE works by embolizing, or in other words, blocking blood vessels that feed the fibroids. The uterus will continue receiving blood from other blood vessels keeping it healthy while the fibroids shrink and alleviate the symptoms that come with it.
How Is The fibrid UFE Done?
Our interventional radiologist make a small incision in the wrist or groin and insert a tiny catheter in the artery. Once the catheter reaches the arteries supplying the uterus, tiny particles are injected blocking the flow of blood. The procedure takes approximately an hour in our outpatient facility and recovery lasts approximately 4 hours before going home. Cramping and nausea begin shortly after the procedure peaking at 6-12 hours as the fibroids are deprived of blood and start to shrink. Pain and nausea medications are given intravenously to keep you comfortable during recovery and you go home with oral pain and nausea medications.
Images courtesy of WomensHealth.gov.
What Are Benefits of The fibrid UFE Procedure?
Using the fibrid UFE Procedure to treat fibroids is relatively new, but the technique has been used since the early 1990s. Years of experience has shown the technique itself is safe and effective. The staff at Dayton Interventional Radiology are experts in the fibrid UFE Procedure and walk the patient from the beginning of the process through recovery at home. Benefits of choosing the fibrid UFE Procedure are:
- No Hysterectomy Is Needed: Although hysterectomies are routinely done, it is considered major surgery and carries risks and complications as with any major surgery. In addition, there are side effects related to losing your uterus including hormonal imbalance, sexual dysfunction, early menopause, and depression.
- Go Home Same Day: The Fibrid UFE Procedure is not a surgery. It is a procedure that is done in an outpatient facility with no overnight hospital stay.
- Relief Of Symptoms: Studies have shown 90% of patients report relief of fibroid related symptoms.
- No Regrowth: Studies tracking women for over 10 years show no regrowth of fibroids.
- Quick Recovery: Most women are able to return to work 7-14 days after procedure.